Monday, March 29, 2010

art?

I've taken up oil painting in the last few months, thanks to finally having some leisure time!
This is the first time I've ever only had classes 2 days a week, so it's allowed me to take up on a hobby.
Half the time I don't know if I'm even holding the brush correctly or using the "right method" of painting, but I don't care, I'm enjoying myself.
photos to be posted soon!

EDIT:

1. Inspiration: I went to the Coney Island aquarium a few summers ago and I loved the jellyfish! They looked so serene in the water..which reminds me, I must learn how to swim this summer! can't be relying on floaties for the rest of my life now..

note: kudos to one of my bestest friends Jiwon for her input!

















Detailed view:



2. Inspiration: Paris? Vintage photos? I went to London's Frieze Art Fair, (which I highly recommend! I saw so many interesting pieces which I never would have considered it to be "art"), back in 2008 and I liked the idea of how this one artist combined different medias in her piece. This one looked so much better in my head before I actually started painting..It'll probably end up in a closet somewhere

By Martha Rosler I believe..the juxtaposition of the models and the photo's settings is amusing




You can't really see it, but in the vintage photo I cut out in the bottom left corner, one of the ladies is looking out through the binoculars (she's supposed to be looking out to the Eiffel Tower/lake, fountain, whatever that is)


3. Inspiration: This is my favorite, and it's completely unoriginal in terms of creativity, but I came across this Dior ad while flipping through Vogue and this photo just caught my eye in an instant. There's a certain demure mystery to her no? Plus, she (Marion Cotilliard) starred in one my favorite movies, "Jeux d'enfants", or "Love Me if You Dare", and "Le Vie en Rose" haha


Here's my version:
Added a chandelier and instead of painting her reflection, I put together broken mirror pieces.
And of course I had to replace that fugly bag with a glass of wine! ;)

I'll never forget the day I spent 4 freaken hours just working on that mirror! It was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. (I kid you not, ask my roommate)



4 comments:

  1. good job. your latest one is coming along nicely too~

    ReplyDelete
  2. the painting of that girl is pretty sexy.. no lie hahah

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yay! you posted up pictures. muhaha i am that roommate. i like i like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete